In 1937, a division under the Department of Land Policy in the Ministry of the Interior, which was established and responsible for urban planning, building agency, rural construction agency, civil engineering, and public works. This is the very beginning of an official construction and planning agency organization. After several changes in organization structure due to the social and economic development of the country, the Construction and Planning Agency was formally established (CPA) under the Ministry of the Interior on March 2, 1981.
On July 1, 1999, due to governmental reform, the Agency was amalgamated with some offices of Taiwan Provincial Government. CPA has made adjustments for the merged organizations such as combining the vocational works of Provincial Public Housing Bureau, Urban Development Bureau and Constructional Office. CPA also brought 3 subordinate agencies into which are Bureau of Urban and Rural Planning, Division of Heavy Construction Development and Bureau of Reclaimed Land Development.